Gte Brake Upgrade

paulmcclung

you also astra 16v caliper and 2.2 carlton mk1 disc's if you don't want redrill any holes or if you are running bigger than standard wheels you can go turbo calibra calipers and 2wd cosworth sierra disc's (298mm)but as per the audi 80 disc's you will have to redrill the mounting holes also the centre hole on audi disc's has to be enlarged to fit the manta hub.i run a 16v hatch with the 16v/audi 80 set up and a 16v coupe with the turbo calibra/cosworth set up.

As mentioned, 256mm Astra GTE calipers and redrilled Audi 80 discs are the common upgrade. Just a small note though- they are usually referred to as 16v Astra calipers but the newer Astra GTE 8v also had the same brakes.

Carlton discs can be fitted straight on but they are a 10mm smaller diameter so there is some brake pad overhang due to them not fitting exactly. I'd rather have brakes spot on which is why I have just machined some Audi 80 discs- hopefully get round to fitting them and calipers this weekend.

The Audi 80 discs are indeed vented, only slight issue is that they are 22mm thick where as the intended thickness for the calipers is 24mm so effectively you start off with some part worn disks - but on the up side the offset is correct so doesn't add stresses where there wouldn't normally be.

They were fitted to a few Audis- 2.0E, 2.3 quattro etc.

As a straight forward and cheap upgrade, I can safely say that it's well worth fitting Astra calipers and Audi discs. They work fine with my standard 1.8 Hatch's Master cylinder and give a good feel and range of braking pressure. If I proper stamp on the brakes at 60 both front wheels can lock at 55 with 2 good quality tyres fitted 4 days ago :D

Thanks to everyone on here who helped me with the details for it B)

I have old Volvo 240 4 pots and Carlton 2.2 vented discs on the front of my manta and it works spot on with the standard 1.8 servo/master cylinder etc. Not too expensive either. Only thing is the standard 14" GTE wheels can't go on so the smallest rim you can put on is 15".

Cheers Peter.